March 15, 2019 11:00–12:00. Seasonal Walkabout at Lusitania Wet Meadow, Fresh Pond Reseration.
Come out for a seasonal walkabout with Ranger Jean at the Lusitania Wet meadow. We will monitor wildlife by sign, track or presence, and make note of weather, state of plants, condition of water and other abiotic resources. You can help chart the seasonal changes of some of our most active wildlife spots, or simply come to enjoy the walk. Come dressed to be outdoors for the hour. All knowledge levels welcome. We will be walking off-path. Service dogs only, please. To RSVP, please contact Ranger Jean at (508) 562-7605 or email jrogers@cambridgeMA.gov, heavy rain postpones to the following Friday.
- Fresh Pond Reservation: 162 acres of open space owned by the City of Cambridge (map/directions)
- Mount Auburn Cemetery: a 175 acre haven for wildlife and plants
- Magazine Beach: A 17-acre historical and natural area along the Charles River managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) (map/directions)
- Charles River Parklands: encompassing North Point Park, Magazine Beach, and Riverbend Park in Cambridge as well as Herter Park in Brighton
- Alewife Reservation: home to muskrats and others: a state-owned property spanning Cambridge, Arlington, and Belmont; managed by the DCR
- North Point Park: Newest open space (8 1/2 acres) in Cambridge, maintained by the DCR. Click here for information about the Charles River Conservancy’s water quality research information at this location.
Ongoing Outdoor Volunteer Opportunities in Cambridge
To stay in touch about volunteer opportunities at Fresh Pond Reservation, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Cambridge Department of Public Works has volunteer opportunities, including landscaping and “adopt a storm drain.”
The Charles River Watershed Association engages volunteers to draw water samples, including at Cambridge locations. Click here for information.
MAPS & WAYFINDING
- Gallery of Open Space Maps (includes small “pocket parks” and public plazas)
- Walking Distances and Map of Fresh Pond Reservation
- Map of Bicycle Facilities and Paths in Cambridge
- Download Complete Map of Parks, Playgrounds, and Reservations in Cambridge as a PDF A selection from this map, updated May 2016, is here: